Skip to main content

New Trick Talk Host, Tim Mannix

Just when you thought the Trick Talk blog was dead we found a new host, Tim Mannix. That's me. Before I tell you about myself, I'd like to thank Cris Johnson who wrote the Trick Talk blog for 3+ years and did a phenomenal job. Thanks Cris!

Now continuing. In the event you don't know me, let me tell you a bit about myself

I've known Paul Gross (Mister Hocus Pocus himself) for years, but I never thought I'd come to work for him. He'd been after me since we first met, offering me a job shortly after our initial meeting one Saturday at the Magic Castle swap meet in Hollywood. I dismissed his offer immediately thinking it was just talk. And besides, "Leaving Los Angles -- unthinkable, NEVER!" 

But, as I found out, it wasn't just talk. Because for four-and-a-half years Paul relentlessly asked me the question, "When are you going to come work at Hocus Pocus?", every time I saw him. It seemed he was serious about this offer.

Well, finally, Paul won me over and I moved to Fresno last year in late January. My first day of work was Wednesday, February 1, 2013. And may I say, I hit the ground running -- or at least my elephant did.


I'd been a full-time working professional magician in the Los Angeles for 12 years specializing in the family entertainment market. See, if you want to work, especially when beginning your career, you'll probably want to perform for kids and families. And that's exactly what I did.

It's like the old joke, "What's the difference between a pizza and a family of four?"
Answer: A pizza can feed a family of four. 

Yes, it's an eye-roll and it's NOT really that funny, but it does have that painful element of truth to it.

Although I love performing for adult audiences and they're very forgiving, family audiences allow me to perform on two different levels, so I find them very enjoyable. The kids think I'm dead serious, but the adults are getting the jokes. And let me just point out that I NEVER joke at the kids expense. At least, I try not to.

I am a regular brunch-show performer at the world famous Magic Castle in Hollywood and I love it. It was a lifelong goal and I appreciate performing there immensely.

As a working pro featuring comedy in my act, I always put bits of business into my shows making them more of a one-man variety show than just a straight magic show that evolves from trick-to-trick. In fact, most of the "workers" I know wholeheartedly agree with this philosophy.

That's why  I've got to mention my newest products; Freebies, Brownies and Readies. They are visual comedy and garner huge laughs. Yes, I know. I didn't believe it either -- in the beginning, but I do now!

These bits of business should be not only clever but entertaining, and with Freebies (Free B's), Brownies (Brown E's) and Readies (Red E's) you have both!


On a whim, I decided to try this bit on an audience at the Magic Castle, and the reactions I got utterly surprised me. As a result, I've been using them ever since.

Check them out by clicking Freebies, Brownies or Readies.

I am looking forward to meeting many fellow performers at Magic LIVE in August, and can be contacted at tim@hocus-pocus.com if you just want to drop a line or say hello.

So long for now,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wayne Dobson is Awesome!

Wayne Dobson is awesome. I like his magic and I really like his thinking about magic. He works smart -- and I'm all always for that. Two of his newest effects are prime examples of working smart. They are completely self-working, utilize regular bicycle cards and require absolutely no memory work and what's best, they reset instantly. However, don't let the term "self-working" influence you  negatively ,  because  the impact on spectators is that it stymies them! Even the most accomplished pros speak regularly of working SMART, rather than working HARD. Both of Wayne's effects meet this precept. Plus,  at their core,  they're   completely entertaining. Although both Guesstimation and Second Chance by Wayne Dobson can be presented as straightforward card effects, I believe they play far better as acts of mentalism. But, that's just my opinion.  Here's the basic effect of Second Chance : Without you even touching the deck a

Post Magic LIVE Recommendations

Whew....August has been busy. I lectured on kid's magic at the PCAM, attended Magic LIVE in Las Vegas and took a trip home to see mom, so I've been out of pocket. That's why it's taken so long from my last posting. My basic goal is to feature at least 3 effects with each new blog entry that I consider to be worthy of a worker's attention. Also, if there is a particular effect for kids that I really like, I'll recommend it. And my "Book of Note" will call attention to any book I consider worth adding to your magic library. Now, let's get to some Trick Talk. David Regal's Clarity Box Another beautiful effect from David Regal's fertile mind. There are however a number of great effects that have come down the pike that are worth talking about -- namely David Regal's Clarity Box, which was a huge hit at Magic LIVE. Also, I like to tell you briefly about FORCE 4 by Wayne Rogers and the Giant Snaky Wand. I